- a person 18 years of age or older whose ability to perform the normal activities of daily living or to provide for his or her own care or protection is impaired due to a mental, emotional, sensory, long-term physical, or developmental disability or dysfunction, or brain damage, or the infirmities of aging.
The Florida Abuse Hotline will accept a report when:
- Any vulnerable adult who is a resident of Florida or currently located in Florida
- who is believed to have been abused or neglected by a caregiver in Florida, or
- suffering from the ill effects of neglect by self and is need of service, or
- exploited by any person who stands in a position of trust or confidence, or any person who knows or should know that a vulnerable adult lacks capacity to consent and who obtains or uses, or endeavors to obtain or use, their funds, assets or property.
Definition of Possible Responsible Person (Vulnerable Adult):
- a CAREGIVER to the victim, or
- a VULNERABLE ADULT in need of services, or
- a PERSON who stands in a position of trust and confidence, or
- a PERSON who knows or should know that the vulnerable adult lacks capacity to consent.